How to Add Music to Instagram Story
Whenever we discover a new song, our first impulse is to share it with the world.
And there is no better way of doing so than with an Instagram post like a story!
But, how exactly do you add music to an Instagram story?
It’s quite easy. We’ll teach you how to do so.
- How to add music to Instagram Story
- How to use the music sticker on an Instagram story
- How to add music to Instagram without the music sticker
How to Add Music to Instagram Story
These are the methods to add music to your Instagram stories:
- Use the in-app music icon (sticker).
- Use a third-party app.
While Instagram’s music library is full of popular songs, it might not have YOUR favorite songs.
That’s why it’s important to know other methods of adding music to your Instagram posts.
At the end of the day, Instagram offers many options to share music. Is up to you which one you pick.
Note: In certain situations, you might run into issues with the Instagram music feature.
You can learn why Instagram music is not working and how to fix it with our other guide - be sure to check it out!
How to Use The Music Sticker On The Instagram App
The easiest method is to use the music sticker.
The music sticker is a built-in function that lets you add music to your Instagram stories.
It is easy to use, but slightly hard to find.
Here’s how you add music directly to a story with the sticker:
- Step 1: Open the Instagram App
- Step 2: Tap the Story Icon. It’s on your profile picture in the top left corner of your screen. It looks like a plus sign. It will take you to your camera screen.
- Step 3: Press the big record button in the middle to create a new Instagram story. Or, select a video from your camera roll.
- Step 4: On the top right corner, you’ll see the sticker icon. A smiley face that looks like a sticker. Tap the sticker icon.
- Step 5: Scroll down until you see the Music sticker. Or, you can search it by typing music on the search bar. Tap the Instagram Music Sticker.
- Step 6: Search the music library by typing a song title.
- Step 7: Tap the play button to listen to a preview, if you like the song, tap its name to select it.
- Step 9: On the lower bar, you can select what part of the song you would like to hear when the song plays.
- Step 10: Lastly, tap on the sticker to select the display options. You display the song’s lyrics or the album art. If you don’t like how it looks, just double-tap it to change it.
- Step 11: Tap send to post it!
Business accounts won’t have access to all the songs available.
There are a few reasons as to why that’s the case, but the main one is due to licensing issues.
A business account is expected to pay for uploading any sort of music to an Instagram Story.
It’s advertising after all.
This is especially important for any business that wants to share a YouTube video on their Instagram story.
As they may find that they break some community guidelines.
How to Add Music to Instagram Story Without Sticker
Sometimes a particular song you like won’t be available on the Instagram music library.
If that’s the case, here are your best options to add music to an Instagram story:
How To Add Music To Instagram Story from Soundcloud App
Soundcloud was made so musicians could easily upload any new project they created.
While it doesn’t have the most popular songs, it still has some cool tracks.
If you found a cool track that needs to be in your Instagram feed, here’s how to add it:
- Step 1: Open Soundcloud
- Step 2: Pick a song.
- Step 3: Click the three-dot icon.
- Step 4: Select the share option and click on the Instagram icon.
How To Add Music to Instagram Story from Shazam App
While the Shazam is usually reserved to identify a song playing in the background, you can also share music from it!
- Step 1: Open Shazam and let it find a song.
- Step 2: Once identified, tap the three-dot icon on the top right corner.
- Step 3: Tap the share option.
- Step 4: The cover art and the song will be put on an Instagram story.
- Step 5: Share and the song will start playing on your story.
It’s a great way to remember a song you’ve listened to.
How To Add Music to Instagram Story from Spotify App
The cool thing about Spotify is that it will share the video graphics to the story. All recent songs on the app come with a short video loop.
- Step 1: Open Spotify
- Step 2: Select a song you want to share.
- Step 3: Select the three-dot icon (ellipsis icon) on the top right.
- Step 4: Tap on the share option. Then, tap on Instagram.
- Step 5: Spotify will open Instagram and will put your song choice on an Instagram story.
- Step 6: Share it!
And that’s how you add a song to your story screen!
Use Background Music
If adding music through any app seems like too much of a hassle, just play music and then record your video story.
Simply open an app like Spotify or Apple music, play a song then record the video.
You could also play a song directly from your phone’s library.
This is the easiest way to add music to any Instagram story video without the sticker.
Add Music To Instagram Story FAQ
Why Can’t I Add Music To My Instagram Story?
Your Instagram app might not be working. Try a quick fix like restarting the app or clearing the cache. If everything else fails, reinstall the app.
How Do You Add Music To Instagram Stories On iPhone?
The same way you do on any device, by using the music sticker.
It’s the easiest way to do so, and the app has an amazing musical library.
Karen is a senior technical writer and copywriter here at GrowFollowing. Her area of expertize are social media apps and new media.