How to Unread Messages on Instagram
Have you ever received an Instagram DM from someone, but you don’t really want to read it? Well, you can just avoid reading new messages on the app, and that would be it, but what if you accidentally open that direct message?
As you know, Instagram users receive “read” receipts whenever someone reads their text messages or Instagram DMs, and these can be quite annoying.
So, is there an unread messages feature on Instagram? And if so, how do you mark Instagram messages “unread”? In today’s guide, we are going to provide you with the knowledge you need about:
- How to unread messages on Instagram;
- How does unreading Instagram direct messages work?;
- Who can and who cannot unread DMs on the Instagram app?
Can You Unread a Message on Instagram?
If you have a personal account on Instagram, you cannot unread a message on Instagram or read a message without the sender knowing you did so.
There is no unread option for normal accounts - at least not on the official app.
As soon as you read messages with personal accounts or creator accounts, the other person will know that you read them if they open Instagram and go to the General Tab of the DM section.
They will not receive notifications for a read receipt, but if they open their Instagram inbox, then they will indeed know you read their messages.
Either way, only business accounts can mark messages “Unread” on the app.
Can You Unread Instagram Messages with a Personal Account?
Not directly - you need to have a business account if you want to get the unread feature on your Instagram account.
There are a couple of workarounds if you want to prevent the blue dot of the read receipt from appearing on a conversation, but when it comes to having an “un-read Instagram messages” feature, then only professional accounts can do this.
How to Unread Messages on Instagram
There are five ways or workarounds that Instagram users can apply to unread messages on Instagram.
Keep in mind that these options are aimed at the Instagram application and not the desktop version of the platform, so without further ado, let’s get to it right away.
Method 1: Unread Instagram Message With Professional Account
Instagram users who have a business account can quickly unread messages on Instagram without major problems.
This is what you have to do:
- Launch Instagram, and open on the DM icon at the top right corner of the screen to go to the DM Primary tab;
- Here, you can see the General Tab, Primary Tab, Message Requests, and more;
- Long-press a DM, and at the upper right corner of the screen, you will see a selecting icon;
- Select the messages you want to mark as unread, and select “Mark Messages as Unread.”
This way, the other user will not know that you have previously read their messages with your business account.
Method 2: Restrict Account On the Instagram App
If you restrict accounts on Instagram, you can read through their messages without them knowing you did, but they will also be silenced form your Instagram feed:
- Launch Instagram and look for an Instagram user;
- Open their profiles (if they have a private account, you must follow them first);
- Tap on the three dots on their profile and select the Restrict option;
- Go to your primary inbox and read their messages - since they are in “restrict mode,” they will not know that you have read their messages on your profile.
Method 3: Use Airplane Mode to “Mark as Unread”
If you read a message without having an active Internet connection, then they will not receive read receipts whatsoever:
- Whether you have an Android or an iOS device, turn off your Internet connection by tapping on the Airplane Icon on the Control Center;
- Open IG, and go to your Instagram DM;
- Read the Instagram message you want to check, and then close the app;
- To be 100% sure that they won’t get receipts, restart your phone before disabling Airplane mode.
Method 4: Switch from Personal to Professional Account
Another option you have is to switch from personal, public, or private accounts to a business account.
You can do this by following Instagram’s steps:
- Launch Instagram, and tap on your profile icon;
- Then, select the three horizontal lines (hamburger icon) and tap Settings option;
- Go to the Account section, and scroll down;
- Select the Switch to Professional Account option, and confirm your decision.
Now, with your newly created business profile, you will be able to access the “Mark As Unread” button on Instagram messages inside the app.
Method 5: Use a Third-Party Unread App
There are many third-party apps that can help you unread messages on Instagram.
Nonetheless, it is important to remember that these are totally unofficial applications.
Therefore, do your own research, and download the third-party app that suits your needs the most.
Likewise, it is worth noting that most of these apps are premium, which means that you need to pay for them.
Summary: Can You Mark Messages as Unread On Instagram?
There are five different ways if you want to mark messages as unread on Instagram, and they all work in their own way.
Let’s make a quick recap:
- The best way to unread a message on IG is by having an Instagram business account;
- If you have a personal profile, restricting the person will prevent them from knowing that your read their message;
- Use the Airplane Feature to open a message without sending any read receipt;
- Switch to a business profile if you want;
- And, at last, get help from an unofficial third-party application.
Get more IG guides here, at GrowFollowing.
Does Unread on Instagram Work?
It only works if you have a business profile, or if you follow each one of the fixes we have mentioned here in this guide, so go for it!
Karen is a senior technical writer and copywriter here at GrowFollowing. Her area of expertize are social media apps and new media.