How to Change Snapchat Username in 2022
Whenever you create a new Snapchat account, it is imperative to set up a username that people can use to find you.
Just a couple of months ago, it was impossible to pick up a new username after setting yours up on the Snapchat app.
Fortunately, this has changed in 2022 - there’s a new feature that allows you to change your Snapchat usernames within a few taps!
But how do you use this feature? Do you have to sign up somewhere? Do not despair - continue reading this guide to get more data about:
- How to change Snapchat username in 2022;
- Why should you change your username on Snapchat?;
- Are there other ways to change your username?
Can You Change Your Snapchat Username in 2022?
Yes, you can change your Snapchat username from February 2022 onwards!
The most recent update of the Snapchat app allows you to change your old name for a new one.
According to Snapchat’s press release (which you can check in detail here on this site), it is possible to perform username change actions from the Snapchat mobile app.
Prior to February 2022, if you wanted to change usernames on Snap, you would need to delete your old account and create an entirely new account from the beginning.
That’s why deleting Snapchat accounts was so common - some people didn’t like their old username, and the only way to get rid of it was to get a new account - as simple as that.
Both those who didn’t want to lose their Snap Score or Snap Code could simply have 2 Snapchat accounts on their phone at the same time.
Changing Snapchat Display Name vs. Username
There seems to be confusion between usernames and display names. Snapchat makes it all pretty clear on their official website:
- You can change your Snapchat display name whenever you want. Choosing a new display name has always been possible. This is the main name that your contacts will see on your profile screen;
- On the other hand, you need to have the latest version of the Snapchat app installed if you want to change your current username. Download it from the App Store or Google Play Store;
- You can change your Snapchat display name as many times as you want;
- After this new update, Snapchat confirmed that your username could only be changed once a year;
- After you change your username, no one, not even you, will be able to pick up the old username on their Snapchat account.
How To Change Snapchat Username in 2022
Now that you know that you can indeed change your Snapchat username in 2022, it is time to pick a new username!
Before you do so, follow these three tips:
- Think it through before you change your username on Snapchat - some users end up regretting their decisions!;
- Pick or create an easy-to-find username. If you mess up, you will need to create a new account!;
- You can pick a new display name after you change your Snapchat username if you want - there are no limitations for this.
Pro Tip: One of the worst things if you wanted to change your Snapchat username in the old days was that your Snapchat Conversation History would entirely get lost.
Now, the app will still save this data on your profile because you won’t be using a new account. Learn more about this matter by reading the related post on our site.
Step 1: Open Snapchat on Your Mobile Device
Firstly, open Snapchat. Keep in mind that these steps work whether you have an Android phone or an iOS device.
Step 2: Go to Your Snapchat Profile Page
Tap on your profile icon, which is located in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, and proceed.
After tapping on this top-left corner profile icon, your profile display will open.
Step 3: Tap on the Gear Icon and Go to Settings
Now, tap on the little gear icon that appears in the upper right-hand corner of the display of your account page.
Tapping on this top-right corner icon will cause a new settings menu to appear.
Step 4: Tap on “Username” and then “Change Username”
Here, you must search for the option that says “Username,” and tap on it. Your username will appear on the screen.
Then, tap the button that says “Change Username.” A pop-up confirming your decision will appear.
This window will tell you that you can only change the username once per year.
Step 5: Enter Your Password and Tap on “Confirm”
Simply choose your new username, and once you are done, tap on “Confirm.” Your username will update - that’s how you do it!
Now, every time someone taps on your bitmoji icon, they will see both your current display name and new username.
That will be all for today. Fortunately, Snapchat is constantly implementing new features that Snapchatters appreciate.
For more Snapchat content, you can always rely on GrowFollowing!
How to Change Snapchat Username FAQ
How Do I Delete My Snapchat Username?
You can’t delete your username. You are stuck with your one username. You can change your display name, though.
You can do so by going into your settings in the upper right corner of your profile. Then tap on Name and write a new name. Tap Save.
How Do I Change My Display Name On Snapchat?
You can change your display name by tapping your bitmoji on the main screen. Then, just access your settings. From there, tap Name.
You’ll appear on all chats with that name, but people will be able to see your original name by going to your profile.
Karen is a senior technical writer and copywriter here at GrowFollowing. Her area of expertize are social media apps and new media.